ST. FRANCIS DE SALES CHURCH
Masterplan and New Construction                                                                                                      Morgantown, West Virginia

This project consisted of the planning and design of entirely new 40,000 square foot church and related facilities to serve the community. Two parish communities were combined by the local diocese into a single new parish. The selected site for the new complex was a 55-acre farm perched in the rolling West Virginia hills. Four existing farm buildings were located on the site including a barn built in 1928 that was transformed into a fellowship hall for the new parish. The parish center’s worship space seats 600 people. Other spaces include administration/office areas, a gathering space, a daily chapel and classrooms.

Indigenous to this area is a very agrarian style of architecture. It was a priority that the new facility maintains and respects the existing farm buildings and the vernacular architecture through building form and materials.